Friday, September 25, 2009

Urban Shaman by: C E Murphy





Urban Shaman is about a woman, Joanne Walker (Joanne Walkingstick) who learns she is a shaman after being given the choice to live or die after being seriously injured. Saved by her spirit guide, a coyote, she has to use her shamanic powers to help save the world from the Wild Hunt, which is led by a Celtic god.


I had really, really high hopes for this book, not only because of the back but because of the really good reviews I've read about it. And while it was good, it wasn't that good. The whole concept of the god and the god's son and what happened confused me, she bounced back and forth between them. I don't think she planned this as well as she should've. There was a lot of things just...happening all the time. The structure just annoyed me.


I also thought it was odd she'd gone to the police academy, passed with these flying colors, but then turned out just working as a mechanic, basically, for the police force. And then she got a promotion, so she's now on the field. That confused me.


However, I loved the supporting character, Gary. He was well written. And Joanne, though she wasn't an amazingly well written character, entertained me enough, also.


I'll be reading at least the next book in the series to see how the writing is in par with this story.


My rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment