Sunday, October 4, 2009

Nightwatch by: Sergei Lukyanenko


Synopsis:

Set in modern day Moscow, Night Watch is a world as elaborate and imaginative as Tolkien or the best Asimov. Living among us are the "Others," an ancient race of humans with supernatural powers who swear allegiance to either the Dark or the Light. A thousand-year treaty has maintained the balance of power, and the two sides coexist in an uneasy truce. But an ancient prophecy decrees that one supreme "Other" will rise up and tip the balance, plunging the world into a catastrophic war between the Dark and the Light. When a young boy with extraordinary powers emerges, fulfilling the first half of the prophecy, will the forces of the Light be able to keep the Dark from corrupting the boy and destroying the world?

I loved this book. I'm so glad I picked it up. It was entertaining, fast-paced, the dialogue was good, the characters were well developed (aside from a few minor characters that probably could've been eliminated from the story), and everything was well structured.

I loved the eerie, sort of chilly feeling he gave the city of Moscow. It really created a great backdrop for the story.

I also love how each part is kind of like it's own little novella, and they all tie together in the end, making an awesome story. It felt like I read three books, when in reality it was just the one!

It kept me on my toes, always guessing what was going on, it had a few twists and turns that left me dazed. I really enjoyed it. I can only hope I enjoy the following books in the series as much as I did this one. I'm sure I will, though.

So, if you're a fan of paranormal stories, fantasy stories, this is definitely one you should pick up. Sergei could easily become one of my favorite authors.

And I love the cover, it looks awesome!

My rating: 9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment