Saturday, January 9, 2010

Kitty Raises Hell by: Carrie Vaughn




Synopsis:

Sometimes what happens in Vegas doesn't stay in Vegas. Kitty and Ben flee The City That Never Sleeps, thinking they were finished with the dangers there, but the sadistic cult of lycanthropes and their vampire priestess have laid a curse on Kitty in revenge for her disrupting their rituals. Starting at the next full moon, danger and destruction the form of fire strikes Kitty and the pack of werewolves she's sworn to protect.

She enlists the help of a group of TV paranormal investigators - one of whom has real psychic abilities - to help her get to the bottom of the curse that's been laid on her. Rick, the Master vampire of Denver, believes a deeper plot lies behind the curse, and he and Kitty argue about whether or not to accept the help of a professional demon hunter - and vampire - named Roman, who arrives a little too conveniently in the nick of time.

Unable to rely on Rick, and unwilling to accept Roman's offer of help for a price, Kitty and her band of allies, including Vegas magician Odysseus Grant and Kitty's own radio audience, mount a trap for the supernatural being behind the curse, a destructive force summoned by the vengeful cult, a supernatural being that none of them ever thought to face.

[taken from barnesandnoble.com]

I loved this story. It was fast-paced, full of action, well written, with just the right dash of humor in it. It was so much better than the previous novel, which was a huge set up to this one.

It had some awesome returning characters, such as Cormac (my personal favorite) and Odysseus Grant (who is a great character). We also were introduced to five new characters that I hope to see in future novels. Three are from the Paradox PI team--Gary, Jules, and Tina. The fourth is the brother of an earlier character, whose name is Peter.

And then there's Roman. I can just tell he's going to be a big part of the future novels. I won't say much, though, because I don't want to give anything away. All I know is that he is a very interesting character, and I can't wait to learn more about him.
I loved Rick in this novel, but that might be because I'm biased and love his character. I love how Vaughn gives us tiny tidbits into his life in each novel. We're learning about him just as Kitty is, and I really like that. As he starts to trust Kitty more, we get more information!

All in all, I loved this novel. The supernatural baddy that was the main focus of the novel was a twist I had no idea would be introduced. I really liked the spin Vaughn put on it, and think it was well written.

This book sucked me in, and like most of her books, kept me wanting more with each page. I cannot wait to read Kitty and the House of Horrors, which is the latest installement that just came out this month.

If you're a Kitty fan, pick up this book immediately.

My rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment