Sunday, February 14, 2010

Avatar--Film Review


Avatar
Directed by: James Cameron
Starring: Sam Worthington, Zoë Saldana, Sigourney Weaver, Joel Moore


Let me start off by saying I'm going to sound like a complete fangirl. I loved this movie. Adored every minute of it, even the sort of tedious beginning. The moment Sully became his Avatar, I was completely enthralled.
I saw it in 3D, which I highly recommend. It definitely added to the experience. But without it, the movie still would've been great.

The graphics in Avatar are gorgeous. Seriously. They're like another character. Beautiful imagery, I loved the different sort of creatures there were, I loved how at night everything glowed...it was amazing. The graphics in this film are probably the reason to see it.

The acting was really well done. Sam Worthington (aside from being gorgeous) was spot on. I loved his portrayal of the character and feel he did a great job. Sigourney was awesome, I liked his character. I loved Neytiri, I think Zoë did a wonderful job with the mannerisms and such of the character. And Stephen Lang played a great asshole. I really wanted to shoot him by the end of the film. So, kudos, Lang (:

Another thing I liked about the movie was the different layers it had. There's, of course, a religious layer and a layer that focuses on how humans tend to just take whatever they want with not thought to who they may be hurting. I've heard people call it "Anti-War" and I think even "Anti-American", but I don't think that's what Cameron was trying to portray.

Now, the storyline wasn't some complex entanglement. It was simple. But that's okay, because I think it had enough to carry it throughout the whole movie. I thought it was a well written script, and while cliché at times, a great plot. I really felt for the characters and the Na'vi (who else adored their language, by the way?). Ugh, the scenes near the end, like the one with Neytiri and her father...amazingly well done.

There are some things left to be desired, such as why this rock the Americans want is so sought after (aside from it making them lots of money). Although, I have seen some people question why Sully could walk in his Avatar state, when I think the answer is pretty obvious. First of all, it's not his body. It's a clone, basically, of his brother as a Na'vi. And all they did was connect the brains, which wouldn't affect the Avatar's legs. Sully's paralysis was on his body, not the Avatar's, in other words. Hope that makes sense XD

All in all, amazing movie. One I'm definitely going to buy and watch over and over again (:


My rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment