Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Soulless by: Gail Carriger


Synopsis:

Alexia Tarabotti is laboring under a great many social tribulations. First, she has no soul. Second, she's a spinster whose father is both Italian and dead. Third, she was rudely attacked by a vampire, breaking all standards of social etiquette.

Where to go from there? From bad to worse apparently, for Alexia accidentally kills the vampire — and then the appalling Lord Maccon (loud, messy, gorgeous, and werewolf) is sent by Queen Victoria to investigate.

With unexpected vampires appearing and expected vampires disappearing, everyone seems to believe Alexia responsible. Can she figure out what is actually happening to London's high society? Will her soulless ability to negate supernatural powers prove useful or just plain embarrassing? Finally, who is the real enemy, and do they have treacle tart?

SOULLESS is a comedy of manners set in Victorian London: full of werewolves, vampires, dirigibles, and tea-drinking.

[from barnesandnoble.com]

This review is way behind, I just now finished the novel because of schoolwork and such. It was intended for review at
Blog With Bite. Obviously that didn't happen. Now, onto the novel.

I really enjoyed this book. At first, the way it was written kind of annoyed me, but I came to love it by the end of the novel. It was hilarious, the tone of voice that Carriger gave Alexia was, in my opinion, great. It really worked for her character, and made me laugh.

The supporting characters I really enjoyed were Lord Akledama and Lord Maccon. Both were equally interesting. I liked the flamboyantness of Akeldama's character and I liked how Maccon was basically an ass, but a Mr. Darcy sort of ass. In other words, oh so attractive. I haven't come to a decision about Ivy Hisselpenny yet, so hopefully she's in the second book.

I really liked the relationship between Maccon and Alexia. It was pretty realistic, and they complimented each other in ways that worked for the novel.

The action in the novel was interesting, the vampires and werewolves had their own little twist. I probably enjoyed it as much as I did because of the historical backdrop.

Cover: I don't really like the cover. And the cover for the one coming out in March probably won't tickle my fancy. They don't, however, take away from the story.


My rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment