Friday, May 28, 2010

The Edge Of Love

Director: John Maybury
Starring: Kiera Knightley, Sienna Miller, Cillian Murphy, Matthew Rhys

I'm a sucker for movies set during WWII. So, due to that and the fact that the movie starred both Keira Knightley and Cillian Murphy (two of my favorite actors), I knew I had to see it. And I wasn't disappointed.

To start off, I loved the scenary in this novel. From a war-torn London to the beautiful Wales countryside, the setting was perfect. Really helped set the tone for the movie.

I also liked that the characters were horribly flawed. It made them more realistic. (Cillian Murphy wasn't that flawed, he just had a little PTSD at the end). The actors all did a great job. I don't know if the Director wanted us to hate Dylan Thomas, but I did. The actor played a great asshole. He was so selfish. I don't really understand why both Caitlin and Vera put up with it. He definitely wasn't worth it.

I liked seeing the friendship between Vera and Caitlin grow. They had some great moments together, and the ending between them was really well done. I liked it.

I was surprised to find that Kiera can actually sing. Sure, she's not fabulous, but she was good enough to play the part well. And Cillian looked amazing in uniform. I wish he had gotten a little more screen time, because I liked his character. Out of all of them, I felt the most for him.

There were some parts in the movie that dragged a bit, but all in all it was a decent film. I enjoyed it enough. I would watch it again.

Overall rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment