Sunday, May 16, 2010

Letters To Juliet

Director: Gary Winick
Starring: Amanda Seyfried, Vanessa Redgrave, Christopher Egan, and Gael García Bernal

I’ll admit, I’m a sucker for a good chick flick. But, it has to be a good chick flick. Not one of the countless movies out there that claim to be a feel good movie but just come off as overly sentimental and cliché. So, I was skeptical when it came to see Letters to Juliet. I didn’t know which one it would be, an actually good chick flick, or one of those overly sentimental ones.
In the end, I ended up liking it more than I thought. Most of the plot is something that we’ve seen before, but I loved the idea of Seyfried finding this letter about a lost love in Juliet’s wall in Verona. It was interesting, and in a sea of contrived plots, I thought it was pretty original. And I liked the journey that came next, of Claire, her grandson Charlie, and Sophie trying to find Claire’s lost love Lorenzo. It was cute. It had some great humor, and wonderful moments. By the middle of the movie, everyone knows how it’s going to end, but that’s okay, because it’s still entertaining. The characters are pretty well developed, I loved Redgrave’s character. She was hilarious. And I loved the interaction between Sophie and Charlie in the beginning, and I wish that quick wit between them had stayed constant throughout the whole film. I liked how their relationship developed (though it was sort of cliché) but I do wish they had kept that initial spark in there. Charlie kind of diminished from that cocky, funny character that he was in the beginning, and ended up quite like every other man in a romantic comedy.


I loved the scenery in the film. It made me want to jump on a plane to Italy immediately after the movie. It was beautiful.
So, all in all, it wasn’t a horrible film. It had some great lines, and the message was cute. It’s definitely something one could go see with a group or friends, a family member, or significant other. I’d recommend it to people just looking to have a good time and see a movie where you don’t have to think much, you just have to sit there and enjoy the character interactions and overall theme.
Overall rating: 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment