Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Girl With The Pearl Earring by: Tracy Chevalier





The Girl With The Pearl Earring is about a girl named Griet who is sold as a maid to a local painter, Vermeer, and his family because her family needs money. She's given the job of cleaning his studio, and as the days pass, she becomes almost capitivated by the artist and his paintings. In the end, she sits for him for a portrait, and that leads to her inevitable downfall.

The book is based on a piece by Vermeer.


The Girl With The Pearl Earring was the second book by Tracy Chavalier I've read, the first being The Lady and the Unicorn. I really enjoyed The Lady and the Unicorn, and thought I'd enjoy this novel, also. And while it wasn't horribly written, I found it lacking something. I couldn't really connect with any of the characters, I thought it was too slow paced, and there wasn't enough of a plot. However, her descriptions were well done, and I did like how the novel ended. Maybe I just wish it had been longer, and we'd been able to see the characters grow a bit more.


Overall, it wasn't horrible, but it wasn't my favorite either.


My rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment